23 March 2011

Grilled Cheese, all dressed up.

MMmmmmm.
I love grilled cheese, the kids do too (who doesn't, really?), but I never feel like its quite the complete meal. So I got creative.

Some thin-sliced turkey, arugula, swiss cheese and a hummus-like spread
on squaw bread makes this sandwich one we can all feel good about.

To make the spread:
1 can white beans
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 half lemon, juiced
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.
Makes enough for 6-8 sandwiches.

Spread on one slice of bread. Spread butter on the other slice.
Add arugula, sliced deli turkey, and two slices of swiss cheese then slap it all together.


Coat outsides with butter or spray olive oil and grilled to desired perfection.
The cheese gets all melty, the turkey is salty, and the arugula stays just barely crisp.
Cheesy goodness. Yum.

PS.
Spray olive oil?
Let me tell you about one of my very favorite kitchen gadgets-
The Misto Olive Oil Sprayer.
Do you have one?
This was one of the very first things I registered for when we got married,
and it has proven itself over and over. It applies olive oil so evenly. I use it on bread, salmon, vegetables, when grilling meat, grilled cheese... on and on.

1 comment:

The Locklins said...

That sounds so amazing! I'm gonna give it a try. I've been meaning to get one of those Mistos for awhile. Perhaps I will now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...