Well, I found a clear winner. And there were four other judges who voted with me (they didn't know they were on my panel :). Unanimous.
Just in time for Thanksgiving.
1 recipe favorite pie crust
1 Tbsp raw sugar or coarse sugar
1/2 tsp plus 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
2 tsp melted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp light-colored corn syrup
1/2 plus 1 tsp vanilla, divided
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. In bowl combine raw sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Brush melted butter over crust. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Set aside.
2. For syrup, in saucepan combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, the water, corn syrup, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Set aside.
3. In mixing bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar until well combined. Beat in egg and 1 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in milk until combined. Beat in flour. Spread evenly in crust-lined pie plate.
4. Slow pour syrup over the filling in pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover edges of pie with foil.
5. Bake pie 25 minutes; carefully remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is puffed and golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 10 servings.
(see earlier post)
and the Star of the Show... drumroll, please:
Cranberry Chocolate Nut Pie
So many layers of flavor. And the texture is perfect... caramelized and crispy on top and gooey in the middle. MMMmm.
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup brandy or orange juice
1 Recipe Single- Pie Crust
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 oz. white baking bars, chopped
Sweetened Whipped Cream, see below (optional)
1. In small bowl combine dried cranberries and brandy. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of the brandy.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate.
3. In medium bowl whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Stir in walnuts, flour and chopped baking bars until just combined. Stir in drained cranberries and 1 tablespoon of the reserved brandy mixture. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Bake for 65 minutes, loosely covering the pie with foil the last 30 minutes of baking. Cool on rack.
4. Top with Sweetened Whipped Cream. Makes 10 servings.
Happy Pie Making!
What are your favorite PIE RECIPES?